Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Before the Natural Man takes over

I went to Eric's school today because he was getting two awards. One for Citizenship and the other for Outstanding Attendance. The school did the awards by grade which works out really well. So there were five 1st grade classes. It seemed like every child was getting an award for something or other. I was wrong, not every child got one.

I was sitting just behind the little 5 to 7 year old kids when I see these two boys leaning into another little boy in the middle of them. They were rubbing his back, patting his shoulder, saying thing to him and generally trying to make him happy. They sat there with their arms around him for most of the rest of the presentation. One even tried to tickle him to cheer him up.

I got tears in my eyes. How sweet their innocence is. How I wish the world could work through their eyes when the Natural Man has not completely taken over the Spiritual Man in us. Those little boys reminded me that I need to be more concerned with compassion towards those who are hurting. I need to have that innocence of putting my arm around someone when they needed it. Just to show my love for someone in the most basic and simplest way of the human and spritual heart. I need to shuck off the natural man and all the baggage that costume contains. Remove pride from my heart.

Ahhh, to be 6 and innocent again. What a nice world that would be.

1 comment:

Deborah said...

That breaks my heart a little, but it also makes me happy in a sad way. That was very sweet of those kids to try to make him feel better.