Friday, November 5, 2010

Responsibility of forgiveness

Our responsibility does not lie in whether someone forgives us or not. Our responsibility is to work towards, and ask for that forgiveness with a sincere heart.

However, granting forgiveness is our responsibility too. We cannot serve two masters. We cannot expect the Lord to grant us love and privilege if we turn our backs on those who are seeking it from us. How unfair is that. Plus, I was asked earlier this year by one of my kids if they should be mad at a friend of theirs who did something pretty drastic. I told this child that they needed to make that choice. However, keep in mind that if we choose to be angry with someone then we need to accept the consequence that comes along with it. When and how do you choose not to be angry anymore? How do you decide how much time you should feed the anger for that particular event. Can you just choose not to be angry anymore? Will pride then become a factor to where you will feel like you are trapped into keeping that anger just to "save face"? Will you miss this person's friendship any time in the future to where you would wish you could go back and make a different choice? One of the most important questions is; are you prepared for the weight that anger will place on you?

I was proud of this child. She made the right decision. She chose to try to put things in a proper place within her heart. She doesn't have to worry about this person being a part of her life because they chose not to stick around. However, she does not have the guilt of anger hanging over her.

I am not saying that it is easy. It sure isn't for me all the time. And it sure wasn't in the beginning when I was figuring this out. However, over time it has been easier and I am a happier person for it. I have learned that my responsibility is to let Heavenly Father hold judgement, not me.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Reeni this is a really great message. Thank you for sharing.

Maura said...

Its hard to remember that responsibility sometimes and to let go of that anger. Especially when you feel so wronged and want that person to know how much they have hurt or angered you.

I agree with you though. thanks for the reminder.