Thursday, December 23, 2010

It works both ways

I was thinking the other day about the scripture Matthew 25:40 which says: "And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me". This in response to the Lord saying that when he was hungered, thirsty, a stranger, naked, or in prison; that someone took care of him. Then the "Blessed of the Father" answers that they don't know what he is talking about because they do not remember ministering to the Lord. The Lord responds with the above passage.

I love that passage because it reminds us that we are all brothers and sisters and should not pick and choose who we minister to based on our own perseptions, we should minister to all those who have need.

More (and most importantly to me) is that when people read this I think they, myself included, think it is just the good things we do for our fellow man that He counts as having it done to Him. However, upon further reflection, I need to remember that when I have harsh words for someone; or am zealous in my nasty, self-righteous attitude; or I cheat someone; or gossip about them; or any number of unrighteous acts, then I have also done these things to the Lord. It works both ways. Just something to think about.

No comments: